Germanized

Everybody living abroad for a certain period of time experiences such a moment in which they realize that they do, wear or like things that locals do… what to do when you realize that you are becoming one of them?
My recommendation is not to panic, but to laugh about it and accept it! Because it is great to be able to take the best of each world and make it part of your own.

So here are some hints to check if you have been “Germanized” (*):

You talk lower and less:
Your family and friends have already noticed – you talk less lately! And when you are in the subway or in a public space you feel like lowering your voice.
 
Beanie hat
It is a sort of unshaped, cotton hat and it usually it has a star on it.
Every kid will be wearing these hats. Even in warm spring days.
Some young adults wear it too.

I do not own one, this is why I had to look for examples in the internet.
I also believe that I never will, but you know what they say – never say never…

CASPAR Damen Herren Winter Mütze



Leichte Daunenjacke
This garment has actually been my inspiration for this post. Since the first time that I saw the locals wearing it, I have always wondered what the use of it is. I found it extremely warm for spring/summer days and too cold for colder days (and I do not even consider it for the winter).  But Germans wear this “light down jacket” all the time.

Well guess what? I got my first leichte Daunenjacke last weekend. I saw it in the store and it was calling my name! Regarding its use… I will figure it out and keep you posted.



Only in Bavaria

You say “Grüß Gott” or “Servus” to everyone you find on your way:   
Neighbors, work colleagues, to people you find while hiking in the mountains, …

You spend a considerate amount of money on your Tracht 
You want to look your best during the fifth season of the year – the Wiesn (a.k.a. Oktoberfest). So you go to Loden Frey and decide to get the cutest (and most expensive) Dirndl or Lederhosen and compliments that match it.

 
Me, happy as a clam, trying on my latest acquisition at Loden Frey

As I write this post I realize that I could go on and on with many interesting, fun things that I do now as an effect of living in lovely Munich – for example in drinking beer, driving, cooking, … in general a different way of thinking. But I also realize that all these cultural “differences” and “adaptations” can only be good. When you live abroad you can have two approaches: you either criticize everything and everyone or you take the best of it, understand why things are like they are (history, weather, development) and be amazed by how much you have learned.

(*) A little disclaimer: please note that these points are from my Spanish point of view and might be differ from other cultures. Furthermore, this post is written as a personal opinion and it is not meant to offend or criticize in any way.

Comments